Sunday, July 04, 2004

Why Atheism?

Atheism literally means "without theology". It is not the hatred of god, nor is it a religion or set of rules.I am an atheist because I have no religious beliefs. Atheists are only united in their lack of religious belief, and come from all walks of life including doctors, lawyers, truck drivers, homeless, teachers, etc. I don't believe the bible is the inspired word of god, I don't believe that Jesus was the saviour of mankind, and find it doubtful that he even lived.

I am not an atheist because no one has ever "witnessed" to me, or told me about Jesus or any other religion and their leaders. In fact, if you read this, you will see that I was a pretty much hardcore, fundamentalist baptist for a number of years. I think it's important to point out that this was not taught to me by my parents, so I do fall into what some think to be the common stereotype. This stereotype is that atheists are usually only atheists in rebellion to religion being forced down their throats while growing up.

I made this site to expose the many lies, hypocrasies, and contradictions that are supposed "truths" in the bible. I was an avid bible studier, and still read the bible on occasion, mainly when I'm doing research, so I know the bible to a fair degree. It is safe to say, in my opinion, that I probably know the bible much better than most of the roughly 80% of americans that declare themselves "christian".

Here are some great quotes by Madalyn O'Hair, a prolific atheist activist. They sum up my feelings quite well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add this blog to your My AOL, My Yahoo, Google Homepage, or other reader! Add to Google