Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Jesus Will Be Thrown Out a Window By Your Child

If I may digress in today's post, I would like to talk about something that isn't bible-related. Well, it is bible-related, but not straight from scripture. My good friend sent me a great link yesterday about these new action figures that are going to be based off of biblical figures.

The picture on that page is awesome.

Of course, this action figure line will first appear at Wal-Mart, our world's one-stop shop for crappy products and right-wing philosophies. I'm sure a lot of you won't read the whole article over there at BBC News, so I'll get into it a bit. They are going to devote two feet of shelf space at first to these things, at four hundred and forty-five stores around the US.

David Socha, the founder of One2Believe (obviously he's a big fan of teen and text message-speak) says, "If you go in a toy aisle in any major retailer, you will see toys and dolls that promote and glorify evil, destruction, lying, cheating." I can't help but wonder if he's actually looked at toys for kids? For one, kids love destruction, and yes, I will give him that destruction is glorified in some of these toys. But lying, cheating, and evil? Yes, there are evil Decepticons and the evil organization of Cobra, but these are counter-balanced by the Autobots and G.I.Joe. It's like the people that complained about Dungeons and Dragons because it has magic and demons. In most of the DnD games I ever played (and I played for about twelve straight years) we were the good guys fighting against these bad guys.

Besides, what glorifies violence more than the story of Christ, who, through intense violence (have you seen "The Passion of Christ" or read the gospels?) saved all of mankind. I cannot for the life of me think of a better example of something that makes violence seem like a good thing.The word "glorify" is defined by Webster as "to make glorious by bestowing honor, praise, or admiration" or "to give glory to (as in worship)." There it is. I mean, it even uses the word "worship" in the definition.

Maybe Mr.Socha should look in the mirror of his own hobbies before he judges the ones my child enjoys. I would like my son to pretend that robots were blowing each other up, rather than pretend a person was whipped until his blood formed a pool around his feet, had thorns shoved into his scalp, had his hands and feet nailed to a piece of wood, and then had a spear shoved up under his ribcage and into his heart. Laurie Schat, a founder of a christian company, said, "I think there are parents who want...to give their children more wholesome things." This goes, again, with what I spoke about above. The former is much more wholesome, I would argue.

I must admit, I will probably order a talking Jesus doll from the Wal-Mart site (despite my Wal-Mart boycott that's been in effect since 2004 or so) just so I can watch my son drop it out of a three or four-story window, as most boys do with their action figures when they hit ten or eleven, when he's a bit older and bored with it.

Something tells me he's smart enough to be bored with it much sooner than that.


Subscribe to The Atheist Bible Study by Email

Add to Google

Add this blog to your My AOL, My Yahoo, Google Homepage, or other reader!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristof says:

HAHA, I Hope they make King Harrod with a platter holding John the Baptist head on it.

10:06 AM  
Blogger You Haven't Heard of Him said...

Yes, that would be awesome. Or maybe a Jesus that you squeeze and you hear a whip crack as a bit of blood oozes out of his hands.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a whole group of self-flagellating fanatics? They would come with whips and crowns made of realistic "life-like" thorns?

:)~

10:25 AM  
Blogger You Haven't Heard of Him said...

That would be great also. :) Cenobites all around!

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could you people make such a mockery out of Jesus.

"a Jesus that you squeeze and you hear a whip crack as a bit of blood oozes out of his hands"

He was crucified and endured much suffering because He loves you-("Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13)- and so that you might have eternal life -("...the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23)- and you totally disregaurd that and make ridiculous remark like that.

“Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh shall from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit shall from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not lose heart in doing good, for in good time we shall reap if we do not grow weary.” (Galatians 6:7-9).

10:02 PM  
Blogger You Haven't Heard of Him said...

Show me any substantial proof that this Jesus/Santa/Easter Bunny guy ever lived.

There, he's been mocked.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just because you dont believe in things doesnt mean they dont exist.

for example we know that air exist because we can feel it when it blows.

the same way in the bible it quotes that God is love so within ourselves if youve ever felt loved you'd know that God really exist.

show me proof that he never actually lived.

11:38 PM  
Blogger You Haven't Heard of Him said...

My friend, here is some basic logic:

The burden of proof rests upon the claimer, not the other side. If I say, "This person did such and such," it is up to ME to prove it - not for someone to disprove. You make the claim, you prove it. Otherwise everything exists and is true, which obviously isn't the case, because we know that oxygen isn't made out of custard, for example.

Secondly, your example is like a straw man argument. Your first statement talks about "thinking" and "believing" while your example deals with "experiencing" and "believing." There is a huge difference. I know air exists because I understand the basic science behind it, I have lungs, and I feel the air temperature and direction and force change against my body and see its effects on the world around me. While I don't see the mechanisms for an elevator, I understand them, and can see demonstrations and directly experience the effects of them.

Beyond any imaginary, abstracted "emotions," there is no experience of any god. Those feelings, such as love, can be attributed to anything we can't see: aliens, gods, the aethyr of all existence, whatever. Or, we can attribute them to pheremonal and chemical reactions that we can actually measure within the world around us and within our brains. That makes quite a bit more sense my friend.

To digress, remind yourself what the time in history was called when religion held the most power: The Dark Ages. The Scientific Revolution happened hundreds of years ago. You'd still be trying Galileo, wouldn't you?

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am so confused with what you just wrote, but well it quite alright.

the gospel is simple and not complex.

Mark 10:15
"I tell you with certainty, whoever doesn't receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it."

5:07 PM  
Blogger You Haven't Heard of Him said...

I really don't know how to break it down any simpler than that. You'll just have to walk and chew gum (read/think) at the same time I suppose.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok well there is no need for sarcasm.

i can indeed walk and chew gum at the same time and i bet you can too the only difference is that i have the love of Jesus in my heart.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add this blog to your My AOL, My Yahoo, Google Homepage, or other reader! Add to Google